Thursday 7 June 2007

Scotland is Weird.

I swear, they will batter anything. I went to the chippy earlier with Arron and Neggy (I had already eaten, just went along for the ride). Now, to me, a normal purchase from the chip shop would be something along the lines of: fish supper; cheesy chips; mayo chips; gravy chips; a burger; a chicken burger; and at a stretch, maybe a battered sausage supper (though they're foul). No, no. A battered white pudding supper for Negs, and a battered sausage supper for Amos. Okay, but get this. Along with the supper, Arron ordered... potato fritters! 'What on earth are potato fritters?' I hear you ask. Well, basically, they are BATTERED CHIPS. Also on sale at this establishment were BATTERED PIZZA SLICES, BATTERED BURGERS, and the typical Scottish delicacy, battered Mars bars. how does one even discover that it's possible to batter a Mars bar? Maybe in the same way as a girl I know who worked in a chip shop broke her phone by accidentally battering it? was someone eating a Mars bar one day and it slipped? Or maybe fancied a nice hot oil treatment? So anyway, I thought we, the Northern Irish, to be an odd race. Today I was proved wrong.

Oh and by the way, do you know what they call bun cases here? CAKE HOLDERS. That's right, you heard it here first.

Let's take a moment to appreciate the wonders of Northern Ireland, please, and our very NON WEIRD food.

WHEATEN BREAD



THE ULSTER FRY



CLUB ORANGE



and most importantly... TAYTO CRISPS.






Now I'm hungry. All this quitting is going to make me fat.

3 comments:

The Ian said...

You seem to be saying battered food is bad! I mean, I know you can feel the years falling off your life when you eat battered food they still rule. Like little battered pieces of heaven.

Thanks for commenting my blog =D How'd you find it?

The Ian said...

Why thank you, as is yours.
I will keep reading it in a totally non-stalker kind of way =P

The Mighty Beluga said...

Hah! don't you love how tayto crisps have the website on the bag? i couldn't resist and headed on over...
'twas the highlight of my day